35 years ago I made a friend for life, a deep, close personal friendship that nourished my soul, helped me grow, gave me endless support. Bonnie is a spirit like no other. I’ve talked to her every week since we met. She is one of the very few people I lean on. She signed all her cards and emails to me YFGM for Your Fairy Godmother. And she was.
She passed away last night. Here are 10 things I learned from her:
- I never knew I wanted a Jewish mother, but they’re the best thing in the world
- When you talk to a really good friend, it is true that your joys are doubled and your sorrows cut in half
- A good man always has good manners
- A hummingbird has beauty, strength, transcendency and so should I
- Nothing is so bad you can’t start laughing about it
- Don’t ever sell myself short and don’t hang out with anyone who does
- Be true to myself and the rest will follow
- Helping others is an endless source of joy and friendship
- Telling someone who really understands cures everything
- Life has everything – love, loss, good friends, people who are pains in the neck, joy, sorrow, injustice, exhilaration, blow out wins – live big and experience all of it
There’s so much to say about Bonnie, but I’ve cried enough for one morning and I can’t write about her without weeping. She has helped more people and has more friends than anyone I know and I know they feel the same way I do.
Truly hers was a life well lived.
To Bonnie – All my love! Until we meet again.